Habitat for Humanity - Building: Day 1


My first day building was March 24. I had the most amazing experience. I arrived at Painters St. about 45 minutes late as one of the buses I had to catch was late picking me up. When I arrived I met my foreman (Brian). Brian is great, he is ex-military and he used to be a prison guard at Walla Walla State Penitentiary (he has great stories to tell). He informed me that we had a lot of work to do as there was going to be a dedication at 11:30 am. A dedication is when Habitat and the community hand over the keys of the house to the new homeowner. There were a number of people working inside the house on the finishing touches and minor details. Fellow Habitat volunteers and I were outside working on a wheelchair ramp that is needed for Leonard Johnson (the new homeowner). I learned how to use a nail gun, electric screw driver, sander and electric saw. We worked hard and fast to get the house completed before everyone arrived.

The building site was crazy by 10:45 am as crowds started to gather around the house. There were buses filled with people from the community and people who had worked on the house. There were media vans and the Director of Habitat for Humanity, all there to witness this dedication. I was truly shocked to see all the support. I wish I could have shared this moment with each and every one of you. The feeling was overwhelming with sadness and joy!

This has been the day that’s moved me the most. I got to meet Leonard Johnson and his beautiful family. He and his daughter expressed there past heartache and gratitude. If that wasn’t enough, while on lunch break, I happened to overhear his grandchildren running throughout the house laughing. That moment makes it all worth it. A true sign to me that this is exactly what I am supposed to be doing right now. I feel truly blessed to have experienced such a touching moment.

Building Team Photo
Brian is in the front, in a blue shirt

0 comments:

Post a Comment