Adventurous Day


Monday, May 1st. It was 86 degrees with 94% humidity for the day. It was a long day, full of walking to get some errands done. It was my first trip downtown on the street car from my new place in Uptown. I walked down 2 blocks and then over 3, to get onto the street. Just before the street car took off, I thought I needed to get off as I swore we were heading the wrong direction. I asked the driver if he was headed downtown and he said yes, so we were headed the right direction after all. This just goes to show how I still have no bearing in New Orleans. Everything seems backwards to me.


Once we got to Lee Circle the street car driver announced that he could not go any farther into the city due to the inauguration of the new Mayor. We were told to catch the bus across the street and it would take us to Canal St. Once on Canal St., I went to one of the only two Starbucks (can you believe that!) in the city. After enjoying a vanilla iced doppio and doing a bit of work, I was going to head to my old apartment (which was 2 miles) to pick up a few things. I decided to walk instead of taking the bus so that I could get my workout in for the day. On my way back, I decided to take the bus as I had a few bags and it was really, really hot. I got on the bus and headed to Canal St. I met a man on the bus who was spitting poetry. I couldn’t really understand anything he was saying, but I was able to make out the end. He said, “You’re doing the right thing!”


Once I got to Canal St. I walked up 5 blocks to the street car stop. I waited but the street car never came. After about 10 minutes, a woman came by and told us that the street car was stuck about 15 blocks back due to brake problems. Not knowing how long it would take, I decided to get some more exercise, so I started walking. This time, I had two bags and my purse.


I caught the Saint Charles street car, which has windows that are always open. There is a sign that advises you to keep arms, legs, etc., inside. At one point, I was leaning a bit close to the window (though all my body parts were inside the car) and I almost got taken out by a tree branch. My instant reaction was to say “Oh shit!” I turned around in my seat to see that the gentleman behind me was reading his Bible. Just my luck!


Finally we came to Spruce St., which is my stop. I got off the street car and turned left and walked down Spruce. My place is only two blocks from St. Charles. After about the third block down, nothing looked familiar. I must have gone the wrong direction off the street car. I had to turn around and walk the 3 blocks, plus the other 2, just to get home. Though it was a very adventurous day, I was extremely happy to be home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment