Southern Cuisine


In my earlier post, I touched on the food. Just before I left CA in Dec., I decided that I was really going to start watching what I eat and eliminate foods that don’t sit well with me. Moving to the South has made that really difficult. New Orleans specifically is famous for its Cajun style cuisine which is something I’m just not used to. Options are extremely limited when eating out. Standard menu items are usually fried, soaked in a stick of butter, smothered in a thick cream sauce, or doused in seasoning. Although most of it tastes really good, it’s just to rich for me considering that is different from how I normally eat. Also, I know it’s not good for me which makes it really hard for me to try and eat healthy.

I am amazed by all the shocking things I’ve seen on the menu. I’ve seen alligator, turtle, squirrel and possum. But I’ve only tried one. I had fried alligator. It tasted kind of like chicken only a little tougher.

Grocery stores aren’t the easiest to get to (nothing is really :-)) but I do try to prepare my food as much as I can. I’ve been craving fruit as it’s so warm but produce is really expensive; it almost seems like a commodity around here (except for Strawberries which are grown in Ponchatoula). Preparing lunches for the work site isn’t easy either. I’m still trying to find a balance!

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Since being in the south, I have also tried crawfish. Yes, out of a trash can. :-) I was walking downtown and saw an out door cookout of crawfish. The gentleman offered me one to try, and I did. It was kind of freaky!



 

0 comments:

Post a Comment