Fun In the Sun


Yesterday was a lot of fun. We were out in the East and working on interiors.

We had about 30 people (volunteers, homeowners, and Americorps) working on 3 sites. It was really hot and the day started kind of sluggish, but as the day went on, I got more and more energy. I wasn’t really hungry by lunch, so I was just going to walk to the corner store and grab a fresh, cold drink. On my way there one of the homeowners drove by and told me to get my crazy behind in the car. You see, it was 101 and I was walking (she thought I was crazy). We ended up going to McDonalds so I grabbed some chicken nuggets. We dined in and talked for about an hour...I had such a great time talking with them.

When I returned to work I saw that some guys were trying to break up the sidewalk with a sledge hammer. I thought it looked fun and challenging and I wanted to try it. I asked them to show me how it was done, and then I gave it a go. I ended up helping break concrete for about 45 minutes. When I wasn’t sledge hammering, I was helping wheel the wheelbarrow to dump the concrete. The day was full of engagement between me and homeowners and kids from Americorps. It was hot but enjoyable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment